Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On my desk this morning

...is a little pile of op-shopped books, they had been building up in the spare room at Mum's house, but as I had the car the other night, I brought them home with me.

The big book is some weird thing called "World Record News Sept 59-Feb 61" and is all the newsletters issued by the World Record Club for that period, lots of discussions on conductors and gramaphones, and it's all a bit crusty and non-interesting. But it appealed to me, so I grabbed it at the oppy. Also a nice "engine divided, warranted boxwood" ruler made by B.Smith and Sons Australia, that's divided into weirdy inch fractions that I have no idea about because I'm a metric gal. An early 60's poetry book with nice 2-colour illustrations for each poem, a '66 Bambi record with a very unstimulating story indeed, and my fave of the pile: 'Gardening Simplified', an Australian volume which I'm guessing dates from the late 1930's, given that the "Gay Sprinkler" company was purchased from Mrs CE Brickhill in 1935. Ah sprinklers, remember them?


More on your desk-ers here.

6 comments:

Bird Bath said...

wow that sprinkler advertisement is wonderful!

Jenny said...

Wish we could use our Gay Sprinklers with glee-cool books.

Kirsty said...

The days of the sprinkler are long gone. The smell of the water & the gentle spray are so vivid in my childhood memory. It makes me sad.

CurlyPops said...

That sprinkle ad is hilarious! Did you ever have one of those water powered clotheslines? Instead of hoisting it by cranking the handle, you just turned the hose on and the water pressure hoisted it up. I wonder if the Gay Sprinkler company invented them...

Anna-Lisa said...

I love looking at the typography in those old books.
I've got a stack of swedish design mags from the 60's that I treasure!

Danielle said...

The joy of running through a sprinkler!! Last year we went on a holiday to WA and I couldn't resist a run through every sprinkler just because i could.