Today's desk was looking quite bare, until I stopped by the St Paul's op-shop as I walked back to work from the station. Here's my op-shop gatherings:
There's lots of odds and ends of light cotton material, a Butterick sewing pattern, a Hollie Hobbie mug that says "Love is the nicest gift of all", 3 issues of Golden Hands, some knitting patterns and wool bobbins; and books: 'The Wonder World of Nature' and the Australian Guide Handbook (which is the same edition as when I was a Guide). The nature book of course has owlies:

Also a rah-rah-rah hockey sticks novel that I only bought for the pretty cover really. The story starts with the schoolgirls crying because one of their teachers is leaving (I don't remember ever having a schoolgirl crush on a female teacher, let alone crying because one was leaving!) "Miss Lessing, the popular house mistress of the Middle House at St. Helen's School, was the last person she would have chosen as being likely to leave. Everyone knew, of course, that she was engaged to be married, and the general opinion was that the man was jolly lucky."
There's also a rather silly pulp romance novelette from the 60's (the bloke on the cover looks a dead ringer for JR Ewing) ...and of course, you want to know how this one ends, don't you:
Bernie's face went white. "Wh-what did you say?" she whispered.
"I said, 'will you marry me darling?' " he repeated, drawing her into his arms.
"Oh, Richard!" she said ecstatically, eyes shining.
"Is that all you can say" he murmured, putting his mouth within an inch of hers.
Bernie shook her head, and tears of happiness sparkled in her eyes.
"I can say 'Yes please, Richard', " she cried joyfully, and waited for him to kiss her. Which, without wasting any more time, he did. the end.

For more people with quality literature on their desks, check out Kootoyoo.

4 comments:
you can't go wrong with all that op-shoppy goodness!
I bet you were pretty pleased with that HH mug!
Oh yes please!!! that is so funny.
what a great loot!
Post a Comment